Sunday, August 8, 2010

Checklist: Item #2 . . . Reptile Park

Item #2 on my checklist was to visit the Reptile Park. I have no idea why I wanted to go as snakes, crocodiles, lizards, and spiders all used to freak me out. I come from the Northwest of America where all we have are garden snakes and maybe some rattlers in the deep mountains or deserts to Africa where living with the possibility of dangerous, venomous snakes is a given.

I remember that the first few months I lived here, I wouldn't go near bushes or high grass and walking outside at night when I couldn't see where I was stepping would give me a panic attack. Now I rarely even think about it, accepting the possibility of running into a snake as highly unlikely, but possible with a grace I never thought to achieve.

The park was fascinating and shiver-inducing. I posted too many photos, but I just couldn't decide so enjoy!










[Black Mamba]




[Green Mamba]


[Puff Adder-Snake that has caused the most deaths in Africa]










[Nile Crocodile]


[These peacocks were just wandering around]

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Okay, that's just too many snakes for me! :) But, yeah, I would kind of want to see them too!

iseeyoubrightly said...

You are so cool :)

Anonymous said...

Hi there
Carolyn from Perry's Bridge Reptile Park here - stumbled on your post, you took some amazing photos! Really glad that you enjoyed your visit, both with us and to South Africa, and thank you for posting such beautiful photos and kind words online :) Hope you make it back someday.