Tuesday, January 20, 2009

My Western Watch

Life here is constantly changing. I never really know how tomorrow will look and I’ve learned to stop trying to figure it out or make a firm schedule. It saves relationships and heartache along the way. I used to know my schedule everyday and there were rarely surprises. Safe, but a little dull. I’ve become more flexible and relaxed in my approach to life in general. I’m losing the western outlook on time and I’m not sorry to see it go.
From Blogger Pictures

I used to stress about tomorrow, next week, next month, even next year. If I didn’t have some idea where I would be next year, I felt lost and anxious. Now not only am I not sure what I’ll be doing next year, I’m not sure what continent I’ll be on and it doesn’t scare me anymore. So when my friends and family from the States ask how long I plan to stay in Africa and when I shrug and say I’m not sure, I laugh a little inside at their bemused expressions. I am where God has called me and I’m learning to lay my western watch on His altar and be content.

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

I like that last line "leaving your western watch on the altar...". It's not always an easy thing to do.