Sunday, February 28, 2010

New Security Measures

South Africa has a very high crime rate. Even though it has a reputation as being a very dangerous country, I had mostly brushed that aside as over the past two years nothing had ever really happened to me. I grew complacent and felt very safe in my home.

A few weeks ago, two men broke onto our campus late one night. I'm sure they were after the usual things, money and things they could sell for money. In the process, they dragged a good friend out of his home and beat him. My roommate and I live just next door and woke up to him screaming. Fortunately, others on the property also heard and came running and the men ran off.

Since this incident, we've taken steps to have better security on our base. Burglar bars and alarm systems have been placed on all the houses and as a whole we are much more security conscience.





While it's hard to deal with all these new measures, I've felt God saying to be wise, but not afraid. I don't want to live in fear, but I need to be aware of where I live and take the necessary steps.


"Let the Beloved of the Lord rest secure in Him for He
shields him all day long and the one the Lord loves rests between His shoulders."
Deuteronomy 33:12

No comments: