Saturday, February 12, 2011

Tomato Penne Pasta

I don't cook too often, but when I do I like to go all out! I'm one of those people who can't stay true to a recipe. I always look for ways to 'improve' it. Sometimes it works, most times it doesn't, but at least I have fun experimenting!


Tomato Penne Pasta


salt and pepper

Turkey Sausage

1 lb. whole wheat penne pasta

Half of a white onion

Red and yellow bell peppers

1/4 cup olive oil

3 garlic cloves thinly sliced

2/3 pound cherry tomatoes (2 cups) halved or quartered

1 teaspoon dried oregano

1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)

1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

non-fat feta cheese


[The ingredients I added are the ones that don't have measurements!]


1. In a large pot of boiling salted water cook the penne according to package directions until al dente, about 13 minutes.


2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion and cook, stirring, until just golden, about 1 minute. Add the cherry tomatoes, bell peppers, oregano, crushed red pepper, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring, until tomato juices run, about 3 minutes.


3. In a separate skillet, cook the turkey sausage.


4. Add the penne, parsley, feta, and sausage to the skillet (or bowl) and toss to combine.






1 comment:

Lindsey said...

sounds yummy! I'll have to try it.